The Stench of Stagnation

Huh. Either this blog is so staggeringly splendid that it has managed to shatter the language barrier, or I've had a visit from a few Japanese spambots.

Anyway. You may have noticed that, once again, the update "schedule" has gone down the toilet in no uncertain terms. This is due to the usual difficulties; real life getting hectic, Interweb blog less important than cash money, dog ate my monitor, blah blah blah. (Also I lost my saved games AGAIN because I got a new computer and shifting the contents of my old hard drive didn't go as well as I would have liked.)

However, I also realised that I haven't really been taking the right approach to this. For all my wordly wordiness, this blog is basically impenetrable to anyone who isn't intimately familiar with Baldur's Gate II. Like, you would need to go to the bathroom and literally shit Infinity Engine code in order to not get a little bit lost at some point during our adventures here; mainly because there are absolutely no screenshots.

Now, in my defence, the reason for this is that it started as a thread on a forum that didn't let you post pictures, and it just didn't occur to me to do things differently when I moved it to the blog. It was inertia. However, the problem with adding screenshots now is that the layout isn't really suited to it. They'd all have to be thumbnails, which would mean you'd have to click them all and then hit the back button or open them in a new window/tab or whatever, which would basically make the whole thing awkward and terrible to read.

NOT THAT IT ISN'T AWKWARD AND TERRIBLE TO READ ALREADY HAW HAW.

So what's the story? Is the Zero Reload Saga over? Yes and no. "Yes" in that it's certainly over in terms of this blog. Yes, that's right. There will be no further BGII-ing at this URL. Those of you who've been sitting here and hitting refresh every hour for the past five months can finally let go.

"No" in that I find myself still wanting to continue it, and now that things have settled down a bit for me, I am in a position to do so. The prospect of braving Irenicus' dungeon yet again is nothing short of soul-crushing, but when I do steel myself and manage to go through with it, the saga will (hopefully) be getting a fresh start on an actual forum where I can post as many pictures as I want and go back and edit my posts without fear of somehow making a bollocks of the chronology. That and I could get some viewer participation going, should the mood strike me.

If/when that happens, you will be the first to know about it. I will make it my top priority to post a link to the new and improved saga in all its glory. Until then, farewell, and good night to you all. You've been a wonderful audience. All three of you.

Lorph Halys, signing out.




SUMMARY FOR THE LAZY: Blog's over, restarting in a forum, will update with link when it's ready.

3 comments:

Regarding your blog being impenetrable to those who haven't played BGII, you're probably right. But I suspect most/all of your readers have given the game at least a once-through. I won't try to speak for all four of us so this is just me talking until you hear otherwise (yay multiple personalities...): you made Irenicus' dungeon and much of Athkatla seem like a stroll through the Watcher's Keep - terrifying at times...I'll never let Keldorn in my party again *shivers*...yet gripping and wholly worth any soul-crushing to be had. Thank you for sharing the tale of Vespero with us.

17 March 2010 at 02:13  

Sorry to see it go. I check in every 6 mos to see if you've gotten anywhere.

A ton og BG/IWD bloggers like us start out, then stop. My own blogs for IWD and BG are untouched now since uly and December, respectively.

7 April 2010 at 22:08  

Those Japanese spambots are pesky aren't they. Anytime a chapter closes in the BG world it is a sad day, just as it is each time I have to leave a character behind. It's been a pleasure watching from afar.

20 April 2010 at 05:28  

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds