Day 6, Hour 18: Overthrowing the Xzar

Aaaand there’s Jaheira’s complaint, about Shazzellim, right on cue. You can argue that you want to keep it, but ultimately, refusing to get rid of it makes her turn against you, so as satisfying as it would be to tell her to sit and spin on the damn scimitar, we’re just going to have to do what she says. Apparently if we take it to Bernard in the Copper Coronet, he should be able to use his extensive network of contacts to find someone who can destroy it for good. Fair enough.

Once we’re done looting the place, we go to talk to Meronia, and as I said earlier, we casually let slip that we’re working for Xzar. Meronia thanks us, whereupon Vespero basically says the following;

“Wait, wait! Are you guys going to kill him? Are you? Huh! I wanna help! I wanna help murder him! BLOOD!”

I’m paraphrasing there, but you get the idea.

Now, considering he was all too willing to give Xzar a hand earlier, you might be confused by this abrupt change of heart. After all, such behaviour is extremely bizarre and fickle.

If so, chances are you only just started reading, because this is pretty much par for the course for Vespero. He’s a wonderful little madman, isn’t he?

We deliver the assassin to Xzar, who proceeds to do her dirty work and then leaves us to our business. From this little jaunt, we got a nice new pair of AC bracers for Jan, and the talkative gnome also managed another level-up, this time in the Thief class. We’re going to sink those extra thieving points into Open Locks and Find Traps. As much as I’d love to boost the Set Traps skill right away, we really need to make sure that we’re ready to deal with any and all traps and locks we come across first.

There’s always the Knock spell, of course, but you don’t get XP for using that, and as I’m sure I’ve pointed out more than once, I am an obsessive XP harvester. OBSESSIVE.

Now, as long as I’m in the Docks, I’m going to go ahead and get the Baron Ployer quest out of the way, because if I don’t do it now then I’m going to forget, stumble into the inn at the wrong time and end up having to traipse all over town to get Jaheira uncursed while I’ve got other obligations. For now, however, I'm signing out. Tune in next time, whenever that may be.

This is Lorph Halys, and you’ve been reading Baldur’s Gate: The Zero Reload Saga. Thank you, and goodnight.

2 comments:

Ah... and I see now that you know about Dingo's mod thing, so nevermind then.

5 May 2009 at 07:05  

haa.. so glad this is still around. your descriptions are so entertaining i don't even mind that you're doing the two most soul-crushingly boring quests in the game back to back.

6 May 2009 at 15:10