Day 5, Hour 20: The Metagame

I know it’s been a while since the last update. Let me shed a little light on this matter.

First of all, I spent the last few days lying in bed, in pain, cursing the world at large in the manner of a grouchy old man for refusing to let me sleep. Insomnia is a bitch of a thing, and combined with illness it becomes all but intolerable. Unfortunately, I’m not one of those weirdoes that somehow manages to become more active and alert during bouts of sleep deprivation; all that happens to me is I get a mild headache and become extremely lethargic.

Secondly, I’m going to start winding the update schedule down a bit. As much as I’d like to, I simply don’t have the time to write an update batch every single day; it takes longer than you might think. Unless, through the direct and awe-inspiring intervention of a deity, I actually start getting paid (money) to write this crap, we’ll probably be working our way down to about one or two updates a week, with any additional ones being bonuses. This will also give me ample opportunity to start building up a backlog, so that if anything unfortunate happens again, I’ll have a pool of already written material to draw from.

Giving specific update days is not something I’m inclined to do, however. I realise it’s nice to know exactly when you should check back for new content, but I am a fickle creature with a chaotic schedule, and this is the Internet. Saying I will update every Saturday would practically be an invitation for people to start screaming “ITS SATURRDAY WHEN ARE U GOIN TO UPDATE U SUCK” when I inevitably miss one for whatever reason. And I do mean for whatever reason. Be it the sudden loss of my Internet connection, the sudden loss of my only child or the sudden loss of a major internal organ, you know someone would find it in their heart to complain.

In closing, this update has been fairly serious so far, so I leave you with this final note:

WHAT THE HELL WAS A MENTALLY IMPAIRED 14 XP BOUNCER DOING WITH A SCROLL OF SUMMON EFREET ON HIS PERSON GRAAAAH

3 comments:

Fair enough. Perhaps you could rebuff the lost opportunity cost a bit with some adtraffic? You should at least get a counter to measure unique IP hits per day to figure out how many people are visiting the site.

ALTHO THS IS TOTALY NOT A RL UPDAT EAND U SUCCCCCCCCK.

11 June 2008 at 02:25  

Yay for twice weekly updates! I can't wait til you get to the Underdark. In 2016..

But seriously, as long as you continue to update semi-regularly you'll have an audience (of at least one.. who's with me!?). Your writing has been consistently witty and informative. I know I personally have already learned a thing or two about a game I thought I'd mastered years ago. Keep at it please.


ps- arif's right.. meta-updates totally don't count :P

11 June 2008 at 06:06  

Take all the time you need man, all I'm hoping for is that you keep up with the amazing quality of each post! =)

12 June 2008 at 05:34