We have a problem.

Let's cut a long story short here. After I went to the Copper Coronet to do what I had intended to do, I found it necessary for me to rest. I do so, up comes the first dream sequence, no problem.

And then, halfway through the sequence, everything stops. Imoen and I are supposed to walk off and cause the scene to advance, but nothing happens and we just stand there staring slackjawed at each other. Obviously, I can't progress past this point since there's no way to skip the sequence, and no matter how long I wait, Imoen and Vespero refuse to budge or say anything; the only way I can even exit the game is by Alt+F4-ing it.

As you can imagine, this is a bit of a showstopper. There's no way in hell I'm going to be able to get through the game without ever resting, let alone without resting or reloading. (There's one for all you hardcore players out there to try.) Furthermore, if this has happened here, there's a distinct possibility that other such game-breaking bugs will rear their ugly heads in the future even if I do manage to find a way around this one.

I can only assume that this was caused by an obscure mod incompatibility or some form of minor slip-up I made when installing everything. Perhaps I didn't properly restore my clean install. I don't know.

As for the blog, I'll probably just try to retrace my steps as closely as possible and work my way back to where I was from a new game. This is going to take a while, though, not least because I don't think I can handle going through Irenicus' dungeon again so soon after the last time, but also because I'll have to track down which mods (if any) caused the problem in the first place and make sure it won't happen a second time.

Sorry about this, folks. Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

4 comments:

Well, you could always use the instakill cheat to rush yourself back to where you were.

4 June 2008 at 23:33  

If you're willing to add another mod, the Gibberlings 3 BG2 Tweak Pack has an addition that shortens the Chapter 2 cutscenes and dream sequences.

4 June 2008 at 23:44  

Kill everybody. Ctrl-Y. I don't know why it works, but sometimes it does. Sometimes someone has an interjection or banter coming up and you rest which throws you into a cut-scene, but there is that little pause and while it's happening sometimes triggers get tripped and something is trying to happen but it can't... because - dream.

If it's only the dreams that are giving you problems. That is. They don't last the whole game, they aren't every night. So I just kill everyone in the party, then rest. It makes no sense, but sometimes it works. Oh, but Elliseme's stupid ass sending you dreams will screw up things too. Fyi.

5 June 2008 at 01:32  

If you can find out what variable or variables are changed to let the game know you've already had the dream, then you can alter them to avoid the problem.

5 June 2008 at 10:13