Poison Panic: Day 0, Hour 21

Curses, curses, curses. It really has been too long since I’ve been through this dungeon.

I completely forgot that in order to get to the next level, which is where I can pick up Yoshimo, I need the portal key, and that the portal key resides in a room filled with hideous traps that I can’t disarm now because I sent Imoen away like an idiot arrrrgh.

The paranoia kicked in as soon as I made this realisation. I made damn sure to rest again and have Vespero at full health. I would have sent Jaheira in, but she’s got literally half as many hit points as Vespero does, and if she dies here then I’ve basically failed in what I set out to do anyway.

With his cache of healing potions at the ready, Vespero carefully sidled into the room. He managed to avoid the trap that I’m (fairly) sure is placed right in front of the door by walking right around the edge of the room, but of course the one on the chest that held the all-important key was going to strike him no matter what.

After a moment spent gritting my teeth, sweating furiously and steeling myself, I clicked and OH GOD POISON IT WAS A POISON TRAP SLOWLY DRAINING MY LIFE OH GOD DOES JAHEIRA HAVE SLOW POISON MEMORISED NO SHE DOES NOT OH DEAR SWEET CHRIST MY HIT POINTS ARE STILL DROPPING AND I CAN’T STOP IT AND I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE TO PERISH IN THE FIRST LEVEL OF IRENICUS’ DUNGEON TO A TRAP OF ALL THINGS AND oh wait I can just rest. Phew.

I won’t lie, though. I was genuinely worried there for a minute. I suppose this is my karmic retribution for sending Imoen away by herself to escape from the lair of a crazed, evil sorcerer.

Fine, game, you’ve made your point. I’ll take her with me in Spellhold. Happy? Good. Don’t do that to me again.

Alright. That episode aside, everything’s going just fine. Poked Jaheira’s head into the corridor to lure out that fancy, jumped-up goblin archer with the poisoned arrows and dispatched him without a hitch after he chased us through the doorway and blundered into melee range like the foolish little goblin he was. Also managed to evade the floor traps in the lounge room (repeatedly) no problem.

By the next post I will have added Yoshimo to the party, and then maybe my hands will stop shaking.

0 comments: