Impromptu Divorce: Day 1, Hour 17

for (i =1, i < 5, i++)
{ Charge in
Kill nearest mephit portal
Retreat
Heal }

Yeah, I just narrated my strategy for beating a room in a D&D-based CRPG using Java pseudo-code. Dear god a need a woman in my life. Doesn't what I just did here basically amount to spawn camping? Well, anyway. With the mephits and their portals "dead", our attention is now drawn to the sight of Khalid’s corpse. Jaheira gets her emo on, blah blah yadda yadda no we can’t raise him because the spells would drain the caster. Moving on, we go to loot the… Wait a minute. We can’t raise Khalid because the spell would drain the caster? Since when does Jaheira say that? I could have sworn that what she said if you asked her about this was that raising Khalid would have been outright impossible because his body’s too damaged…which makes sense, because that can actually happen to your own party members if they take enough damage to destroy them completely.

We can’t raise him because the spells drain the caster? What kind of lame reason is that? Above and beyond everything else, they don’t drain the caster. If I’d imported a cleric instead of a fighter, I could cast Raise Dead right now and the only “drain” it would inflict on me is the removal of Raise Dead from my list of memorised spells for the day.

I think you’re glad he’s dead because it means you’re now free to get into Vespero’s pants without having to worry about scaring him off with emotional baggage, and now that he’s inquired about the possibility of bringing your poor, dead husband back to life you’re just pulling half-baked excuses out of your nature-loving backside so that it won’t happen. You are one callous whore, Jaheira.

Of course, Vespero’s probably going to let you get into his pants anyway, but that doesn’t make you any less of a callous whore.

I’m almost certain that I’m not just remembering this conversation incorrectly, so I can only assume that this change was introduced by one of the mods I installed. But if someone went to the trouble of altering the script here, why? What was wrong with how it was? It was a perfectly acceptable justification. If you really wanted to change it, why not have Jaheira tell it like it is? “We can’t raise him because the developers were too lazy to write him into the game, and nobody would have wanted the stuttering fool even if they hadn‘t been.” That works. I like it. Khalid sucked.

0 comments: