Roight. We now have ourselves a thief, and not before time. I never thought I'd be so happy to see someone that I know for a fact is a treacherous spy in league with my nemesis.

Yeah yeah, spoilers. The warning's right there in the header. Shut up.

Naturally, before we plough on ahead here, we're heading straight back to the first floor to open all those containers we missed.

None of the stuff we get here is particularly useful right now, with the exception of the excellent Helm of Balduran. Jaheira gets this, of course, because she's the only one who can wear it, but I do so wish I could give it to Vespero. Not so much for the bonuses, but because I just like the thought of him wearing that waistcoat/skirt combo that all unarmoured male fighters get stuck with...and a horned helmet to round it off.

Fearsome.

More backtracking, more containers, more traps...there's a painting in the room with the Jailkeeper Golem that has been locked and containes a magical dagger and three healing potions. How does one lock a painting, exactly? More importantly, how do you squeeze three glass bottles into it?

On the way back I remembered that you can examine those pools in the crystal cavern, and since at this point I'd completely forgotten what it was they said, I decided to check them out. Once again, a bunch of mysterious waffle that is completely unhelpful and has no bearing on or pertinence to anything else in the game.

I hate this dungeon.

Moving right along, we come back to Ilyich's recently vacated premises, and this time we move on ahead, disarming the trap in the corridor and marching forth to kill ourselves a cambion.

Now, if you've played the first Baldur's Gate with its expansion, Tales of the Sword Coast, you'll probably have been through Durlag's Tower at some point. If you've done that, you'll probably know that the sprite used for the cambion here is the same one used for the Demon Knight that you fight at the end of the aforementioned tower, and you'll also know that said Demon Knight was pretty badass.

As such, the first time I came across this guy I was convinced that he was going to utterly ruin my day, because there I was mercilessly stripped of all my awesome magical gear from the first game and having to face some killer boss. As it turned out, of course, he's just as much of a pushover as everything else is down here once you switch his safety bubble off. One thorough chunking later and we've got ourselves a magical bastard sword that we're never going to use. Yay.

On we go to the air motel.

0 comments: