Preparations: The Rules

It occurs to me that the "Zero Reload" title might be somewhat misleading.

I will be keeping regular save games because I have no intention of trying to 100% Baldur's Gate II in a single sitting, and also as a safety net should the game crash or my computer explode.

There will, furthermore, be certain other circumstances in which I will consider it acceptable to reload, such as if I encounter a bug in a quest that renders me unable to complete it. Generally speaking, if something happens to screw up my playthrough, and that something was completely beyond my control, (bugs) I will reload.

However, aside from such exceptions, I will avoid reloading under any circumstances. If I come out of a fight with all my NPCs dead and Vespero at 1 hit point, too bad. I'll have to deal with that. If an NPC gets chunked, removing them from the game completely, too bad. If I "accidentally" fireball a merchant…

You get the idea.

Obviously, given these conditions, if Vespero dies then it's over. I'm not sure what I'll do under these circumstances. If things have been well-received up until that point then I'll probably just keep going and try to get it done in as few reloads as possible. However, if nobody's really interested then, should Vespero snuff it, I'll just call it a day and move on with my life. You know. The healthy option. The one I really should have gone with as soon as I had this idea.

Fret not, however. Having owned (and regularly played) this game almost from the day of its release, I am quite experienced in the art of not getting killed, and I shall care for Vespero as I would my only infant child. Better, even, since the prospect of having children actively terrifies me and I'm not exactly opposed to the concept of abortion. Or baby-eating.

He shall live a full life, and if he must meet his end, it'll be at the hands of something epic like a Demi-Lich or Demogorgon himself. He will not die in shame.

But if he does then you'll be the first to hear about it.

0 comments: